Monday, November 2, 2009

Projects

This has been a busy week. My hubby had surgery last week and he has had a hard time. He certainly has kept me busy. Take it from an eyewitness, pain medication will make you loopy. He has talked all night, worked, picked at things, and generally been out of it. Poor guy.

Even amidst the chaos, I have managed to take on a few projects. Most of the items that I transform come from a local thrift store. I don't like to pay very much since I am a beginner. The thing might wind up being mutilated instead of transformed. I can't believe I did this but I forgot to take before shots. So please don't throw anything at me. Just take my word for it that the befores were bad.

The first thing I worked on was this platter. It cost me $2. I really liked the shape. It is in my master bathroom.

These candlesticks were so UGLY that I am surprised someone even had them in the first place. They were an awful brown wood stain. They were originally for taper candles. There was another part on top that held the candle. It was covered in black felt. So, my hubby sawed that part off for me. It isn't completely even now but the candles cover it. I sprayed them antique white and they are in my hall bathroom. Much better.

Okay, this chalkboard over my kitchen window was an awful old cardboard painting of an owl. I just threw the glass away and sprayed the cardboard with chalkboard paint. I don't know if that will work. We'll see. It hasn't been 24 hours yet so I haven't tried to write on it. The frame started as red and that didn't work. So I tried white. Much better. I sanded the edges a little and I really like it now. I think I will write something about hot tea since it is sitting between my teapot collection.

A closer view

This last one is my favorite. This was a wooden kitchen decoration piece. It had cherries painted on a yellow background. It is now in my girls' bedroom on their nightstand. I love it.


Now it is time to start working on christmas projects.

I am participating in
DIY Day @ ASPTL

6 comments:

  1. Cute projects! The chalkboard on cardboard should work just fine. I chalkboard painted a mirror a few months ago and that worked too. I've also done it on glass canisters. So I think you can pretty much use that paint on anything!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all so cute! I really like the first one because of the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the chalkboards! I finally found some chalkboard paint and since it's finally a nice day...guess what I'll be doing? :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I love the shapes of the first platter & the last frame. Simply adorable!! I tried chalkboard paint on cardboard for a project I did and it does work!! Chalkboard paint is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chalk board paint is so much fun. I love the last one pictured by the nightstand. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was browsing antique shops last month, I thought of you when I saw a silver tray in a display stand and the bottom of the tray was painted with chalkboard paint. But you're so smart you've probably already done that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails