Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Needed Word

Depression.  It hurts.  It stinks.  It steals.  It mocks.  And you can't stop it from coming.  It just happens to you. 

What do you do?  Where do you turn?  Is there any help? 

The first thing that I did was see my doctor and get back on an antidepressant.  Depression is a medical condition that requires medical treatment.  I am a firm believer in this.  I am not better yet.  But I have hope that the medication will do it's job and I will be better. 

Since I am a believer in Christ, the next thing I did was open my bible.

  Right now I am doing this bible study.












This is my second time doing this bible study.  When I heard it was going to be offered, I felt very strongly that I should do it again.  Now I think I know why.  My lesson yesterday was Heart's Broken By Loss.
As I went through this lessons bible reading, which was John chap. 11:1-44, one scripture jumped off the page at me and I felt the Holy Spirit speaking gently to my heart. 

John 11:25 says  Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

So many things have changed in my life over the past couple of years.  I have watched the death of friendships, dreams and goals, finances, health, life as I knew it with my spouse, and life as I knew it in general. 

I realized that I am grieving so many things right now.  Death brings grief.  My physical life remains but there have been quite a few deaths to mourn.  So many in this season that I am overwhelmed. 

I have always struggled with depression so this isn't new. But I do believe that the grief is fuel for it right now. 

  I sensed the Lord saying that although I am experiencing many deaths in my life, it is going to be okay since He is the Resurrection and the Life.  My life is in Him.  I am going to survive.  It is okay to grieve but then I must let go of the dead things and move into the new life He has for me.  He is there in that new life.  I have to come out of the tomb of mourning and meet Him. 

I don't know if my depression will ease up quickly or take time or if it will go away at all.  I do know that the Resurrection and the Life is with me and He is calling me forth from the tomb of mourning to a new life with Him. 

He is calling Lisa- Come Forth! 

4 comments:

  1. Lisa- I am praying for you! I also suffer from depression. I am also doing that Beth Moore study again! :-) Praying you find relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflecting over your description. In it there is hope, there is faith, and you will not just survive, you will thrive in Him! I love you, soul sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look how many of us are doing Breaking Free right now!! God is good! These videos are speaking RIGHT to me. Lisa, I applaud you for sharing about your depression here. I could empathize wiht what you wrote...and have learned that sharing and being transparent about our struggles is a part of the healing process. I hate that so many struggle with depression, but it is comforting to know we are not alone. And, remember...God draws us to Himself in the valley. Sometimes I think my low points are reminders of how desperate I truly am for Him. Thanks for sharing. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, friend, as you walk through this valley. You are loved!! (((Lisa)))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails