Saturday, September 26, 2009

New Bread Recipe

One of the challenges of home schooling through high school in a rural area is figuring out creative ways to meet requirements. I was really stressing out this summer about how to get a biology lab credit for my son when a veteran home schooling family offered to teach the labs for me. YES, I said silently thanking God for His provision. They have graduated their three sons and are still active with local home schoolers so I knew they would be wonderful. I was thrilled.

Yesterday I had to take my son for a biology lab and while he had his lab, I watched my friend make bread. Her husband makes pottery so she had these huge gorgeous ceramic bowls that she was using. I was desperately trying not to covet them. I wanted one so badly but I don't think I can afford one at $80 a piece. They are beautiful though.

She was making whole wheat bread. She showed me the right texture for the bread and sent me home with a loaf to bake and the recipe. I made the recipe tonight and it is yummy.







Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour (bread flour)
1 TBSP salt
1 1/2 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP oil
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix the above listed ingredients together. Then add:

3 cups HOT water. Mix well. Let sit 5-10 minutes.

Then add: 5-6 cups of flour. This can be 1 cup whole wheat and the rest white or you can vary according to your taste.

Knead and let rise 1 hour

Knead again and divide into 3 loaves. Grease and flour bread pans, shape loaves, place into pans and let rise.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. When you start smelling the bread, it is probably done or close to being done.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so with you on the rural high school requirements thing. Not to mention the cost if you have to pay.

    That bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe Lisa! I love homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails